Friday, June 30, 2017

Employee Spotlight - Julie Howard

 This week's employee spotlight is on Julie. Julie has been working at the library for quite a long time, and is therefore one of the most knowledgeable members of staff. Apart from her duties on the front desk, Julie does many other behind the scenes jobs, such as acquiring and putting out new materials. I asked Julie a few questions to get to know her a little better.

Q: How long have you worked at Newark Library?

A: In October I will be here 17 years.

Q: What made you interested in working at the library?

A: It was a familiar place as I brought all 3 of my children for Story Hour every week.

Q: Tell me one interesting or unusual fact about yourself.

A: My daughter and I watch every Academy Award nominated movie every year before the Academy Awards.

Q: What do you like to do when you're not working?

A: I spend time with my family, read, cross stitch, and watch TV: reality shows (Project Runway, Say Yes to the Dress, Amazing Race, Top Chef) and Game of Thrones.

Q: What would you do if you didn't work at the library?

A: Work with children.

Q: What is your favorite book?

A: Children's book: Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. Adult book: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. I like reading about the World War II era.


Q: What do you enjoy most about working at the library?

A: The patrons and seeing them outside work (Wegmans, church).

Q: As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A: I only ever wanted to be a mother.

Q: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

A: My three children (ages 36, 23, 20)

Q: What fictional character best represents you?

A: Marmee (Little Women) as she, the mother, was the glue that held the family together and Charlotte (Charlotte's Web) as she cared so deeply for others.


Q: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?

A: Ireland!

Q: Favorite song at the moment/favorite band?

A: I like top 40 (Bruno Mars, Adele), and I love musicals. Also, I really like 70s music (Journey, America, Foreigner, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac), and disco music!

Q: Pet peeves?

A: Having the toilet tissue roll not replaced, cabinet doors left open, and having a car pull out in front of me and make the very next turn.

Q: One thing you couldn't live without?

A: Family and chocolate!

Q: If you were a superhero, what would your power be?

A: See into the future.

Q: Who would play you in a movie?

A: I love anything Meryl Streep is in, but it wouldn't be a very exciting film as I lead a very "normal" life.

Q: What's on your bucket list?

A: Visit Ireland (research family history).

Q: What is an ability you wish you had?

A: To think fast on my feet.

Q: Favorite quote?

A: "May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
The rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand."
-Traditional Gaelic blessing.