Friday, May 26, 2017

Employee Spotlight Haley

This week's employee spotlight is on Haley. Haley can usually be found working at the teen or upstairs circulation desk. In addition to her regular library duties, Haley also manages the NPL blog (including weekly employee spotlights featuring her co-workers), creates the monthly NPL newsletter, and supplies the weekly staff update to help ensure that we are all kept current on library happenings.  I asked Haley a few questions to get to know her a little better.

Q: How long have you worked at Newark Library?

A: About 10 months.

Q: What made you interested in working at the library?

A: I majored in English at college, and have loved books since a young age. I used to come to NPL all the time when I was younger!

 Image result for english

Q: Tell me one interesting or unusual fact about yourself.

A: My left leg is a fraction of an inch longer than my right leg, meaning that my spine is crooked to correct the difference.

Q: What do you like to do when you're not working?

A: I like to knit, spin, play video games, run, and hang out with my family.

 Image result for knitting

Q: What would you do if you didn't work at the library?

A: If I didn’t work at the library, I’d most likely go back to school to get a Ph.D., and then teach English at a university.

Q: What is your favorite book?

A: I don’t think I could pick just one favorite, but a few that I’ve really enjoyed are The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver, A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving, and The Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood. That’s without even getting into the classics!

 Image result for the poisonwood bible

Q: What do you enjoy most about working at the library?

A: I like helping people - it’s the best feeling in the world when you can direct someone to find exactly the book they wanted, or to help them with something on the computer that they don’t understand.

Q: As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A: For a while I wanted to be a veterinarian.

 Image result for veterinarian

Q: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

A: I guess graduating college, although I like to think that my greatest achievement is yet to come.

Q: What fictional character best represents you?

A: I definitely identified with Hermione Granger as a kid, but I don't really anymore. Maybe Jessica Jones now?

 Image result for jessica jones


Q: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?

A: London. I lived there for four months in undergrad, and it’s my favorite place in the world.

 Image result for london

Q: Favorite song at the moment/favorite band?

A: My favorite band is Fall Out Boy. I’m mostly just waiting patiently for them to release their new album. 

 Image result for fall out boy

Q: Pet peeves?

A: Hypocrisy, or people who are unnecessarily rude to customer service staff.

Q: One thing you couldn't live without?

A: I’ll be the cliché millennial and say my phone.

 Image result for cell phone

Q: If you were a superhero, what would your power be?

A: I’d like the power to manipulate time. I could go back to my favorite memories, skip lines, pause if I had a deadline coming up, redo awkward conversations…the list is endless!

Q: Who would play you in a movie?

A: Sarah Chalke, probably – you might know her as Elliott from Scrubs.

 Image result for sarah chalke

Q: What's on your bucket list?

A: I’d like to run a marathon and/or write a book.

 Image result for run a marathon

Q: What is an ability you wish you had?

A: I wish I could sing – I try anyway, but I sound awful!

 Image result for sing

Q: Favorite quote?

A: “Do I dare disturb the universe?” From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Eliot.