Friday, June 02, 2017

Employee Spotlight - Barb Simonse

Barb is another clerk here at the library, and she has been working here for almost 20 years! You will usually find her at the front circulation desk in the evenings. I asked Barb a few questions to get to know her a little better.

Q: How long have you worked at Newark Library?

A: 19 years and 4 months.

Q: What made you interested in working at the library?

A: My kids were small, we needed a little extra money. I enjoyed the library and thought "why not?!". I was hired to work evenings and Saturdays, obviously it worked out pretty well!

Q: Tell me one interesting or unusual fact about yourself.

A: My husband and I met in high school and we'll be married 35 years this summer!

Q: What do you like to do when you're not working?

A: I like spending time with my family, traveling (Next trips are to Seattle and Italy!!) and of course, reading.


Q: What would you do if you didn't work at the library?

A: If I didn't have to work ever? With unlimited funds?...I would take my entire family on a trip around the world. I would love to have them with me as I see the world.

Q: What is your favorite book?

A: Childhood stories were A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh and in recent years its The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.


Q: What do you enjoy most about working at the library?

A: I really enjoy the public, I like helping the people in my community. I work in the school district during the day and often I see the same people at the library. I have fond memories of so many patrons during my time here, I have seen babies grow up to be young adults!

Q: As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A: I remember wanting to be a hairdresser! I definitely would not enjoy that job today.

Q: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

A: Definitely my children, I think they've become some pretty fine adults!

Q: What fictional character best represents you?

A: Some days I feel like Amelia Bedelia, does that count?

Q: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?

A: Italy! My husband and I are actually going there next summer. There's something about the culture and the history (also the food and wine are pretty good too).

Q: Favorite song at the moment/favorite band?

A: My favorite all time band is Aerosmith, Steven Tyler is so much fun! I enjoy lots of different musicians though, and we try to see as many concerts in summer as possible.

Q: Pet peeves?

A: Folks who drive slower than the speed limit.

Q: One thing you couldn't live without?

A: My husband and children! And probably Italian food.

Q: If you were a superhero, what would your power be?

A: To be able to hear conversations from afar.

Q: Who would play you in a movie?

A: Maybe Sally Field?

Q: What's on your bucket list?

A: Don't have one yet, but I guess it would be to travel around the United States, seeing all our parks and monuments.

Q: What is an ability you wish you had?

A: To travel back in time, see how my parents were as children!

Q: Favorite quote?

A: "Live well, laugh often, and love much".