Friday, April 07, 2017

Employee Spotlight - Rachel Wizeman


Rachel is one of our clerks here at the Newark Library. She usually works at the front circulation desk, and she also serves on several committees behind the scenes to keep the library running smoothly. Any time you see new decorations behind the circulation desk, like the garland of hearts that is currently there, it was most likely Rachel's idea. Back in December 2016, Rachel was NPL's Employee of the Month! I asked Rachel a few questions, so everyone can get to know her just a little bit better.

Q: How long have you worked at Newark Library?

A: One year and nine days (as of 4/4).

Q: What made you interested in working at the library?

A: Years ago, I worked at the library at Monroe High School with one of my best friends, and it was one of the best jobs I've ever had. Also, I love books!

Q: Tell me one interesting or unusual fact about yourself.

A: When I was a kid, I had a major crush on Kenny Rogers, and all I wanted for my birthday was his album. My second crush was Grizzly Adams.


Q: What do you like to do when you're not working?

A: I love to make stuff - I take other people's junk and make it into new things. I knit, hand sew, and quilt. I also love spending time with my kids and grandkids, especially outside, like camping.

Q: What would you do if you didn't work at the library?

A: Everyone always tells me that I should start my own business and sell the things I make. Either that, or I would have a taco truck!

Q: What is your favorite book?

A: The Agatha Raisin series by M. C. Beaton, or any British fiction in general.

Q: What do you enjoy most about working at the library?

A: I love the patrons.

Q: As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A: I wanted to be a teacher.

Q: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

A: My children (and grandchildren).

Q: What fictional character best represents you?

A: A combination of Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland, and Elizabeth Bennet (from Pride and Prejudice).



Q: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?

A: Mexico. I want to see where my grandparents lived, in a village outside Oaxaca

Q: Favorite song at the moment/favorite band?

A: Dave Matthews Band is my favorite band of all time, but right now I'm listening to the album "Cleopatra", by The Lumineers.

Q: Pet peeves?

A: Busy bodies, or nosy people.

Q: One thing you couldn't live without?

A: Jesus. I'm a Jesus girl!

Q: If you were a superhero, what would your power be?

A: I would be able to just make rainbows everywhere!

Q: Who would play you in a movie?

A: It would probably be America Ferrera (from Ugly Betty) because everyone says I look like her. In my mind, though, its Salma Hayek.


Q: What's on your bucket list?

A: The last time I made a bucket list, it was six pages back and front! One thing I'd like is to take all my kids and grandkids on a cross-country road trip.

Q: What is an ability you wish you had?

A: I wish I could speak Spanish. Everyone thinks I can anyway, so it would make my life so much easier!

Q: Favorite quote?

A: "Junk is my spirit animal" - Junk Gypsy.