Friday, April 28, 2017

Employee Spotlight - Celeste Schantz

 Celeste is one of our newest employees here at the library. In her capacity as a clerk, you can often find her on the front circulation desk or down in the children's room. Celeste often comes up with clever ideas to help enrich the library. Just the other day, she worked on Poem in your Pocket day, an initiative to spread appreciation of poetry by giving out poems to patrons. I asked her a few questions to get to know her a little better.

Q: How long have you worked at Newark Library?

A: Since September 2016.

Q: What made you interested in working at the library?

A: I'm a researcher and educator. I love reference work, helping patrons to find the resources they're looking for, and I dearly love physical books - everything to do with authors and stories.

Q: Tell me one interesting or unusual fact about yourself.

A: I write creatively and have been published. Mainly poetry. I also sang for a fiddle band for 8 years at Johnny's Pub.

Q: What do you like to do when you're not working?

A: I moderate a book club on Facebook called The Wonderlings. Join us! Most book clubs read novels. We read everything else - short stories, essays, etc.

Q: What would you do if you didn't work at the library?

A: I would advocate more for equal rights and understanding of people in our community with Special Needs.

Q: What is your favorite book?

A: One book near and dear to my heart is Betty Smith's "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". I really felt as though I were immersed in New York City in the early 1900s seeing life unfold through the eyes of little Francie Nolan. This is just a brilliant coming of age story. Very heartwarming.

Q: What do you enjoy most about working at the library?

A: I love meeting people in the community who care about the value of creativity and the arts. The people who recognize the value in reading or learning how to draw or sing.

Q: As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A: When I was a little girl, I got hold of some books about the Greek myths. Gorgons and Goddesses and mythic creatures. I was an avid reader from then on.

Q: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

A: My greatest achievement? My beautiful son.

Q: What fictional character best represents you?

A: Scout Finch. And a little Miss Jane Pittman.


Q: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?

A: I'd love to spend a season in the UK traveling around.

Q: Favorite song at the moment/favorite band?

A: Right now I'm listening to R. Carlos Nakai's Native American flute music.

Q: Pet peeves?

A: Ignorant people who use the "R" word to describe those who are differently-abled. We need to teach our kids to accept that there are people different in the world from themselves. We all have gifts we bring.

Q: One thing you couldn't live without?

A: Roget's Thesaurus.

Q: If you were a superhero, what would your power be?

A: Harmony.

Q: Who would play you in a movie?

A: As you age, that answer changes! I guess I'd play myself.

Q: What's on your bucket list?

A: I want to publish a book of poetry, a book of short stories, and a book of essays. Hopefully they'd be good.

Q: What is an ability you wish you had?

A: I enjoy dancing and wish I was much better at that! Will take lessons.

Q: Favorite quote?

A: "The only people for me are the mad ones: the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who...burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles." - Jack Kerouac. He was really passionate.