Friday, May 05, 2017

Employee Spotlight - Jennifer Stell

 Jen is another one of our clerks. When she is working, you will often find her behind the upstairs circ desk, helping patrons with a big smile. Jen has just recently come back from maternity leave - she gave birth to a daughter this past January!

Q: How long have you worked at Newark Library?

A: Just over a year.

Q: What made you interested in working at the library?

A: I have always loved visiting libraries, there is something peaceful about the atmosphere. As a parent, I have a great appreciation for the services that the library offers and enjoy bringing my children here. I thought I would enjoy working here as much as I enjoy visiting, and I was right!

Q: Tell me one interesting or unusual fact about yourself.

A: I was once very career-driven and never thought I wanted to have children. Interesting because, as most of you know, my children are my life and my career takes a major backseat to them. I suppose I am a good example of how life experiences can change someone. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Q: What do you like to do when you're not working?

A: In the summertime I love to be outdoors. We hike, camp, and golf. I was once an avid equestrian and hope to resume the hobby again someday. In the winter I mostly stay inside and read.

Q: What would you do if you didn't work at the library?

A: With unlimited funds and unlimited time, I would love to open a combined counseling center and animal rescue. I would pair humans and animals with similar past experiences (abuse, neglect, etc.) and help them heal together through animal-assisted therapy (I was a therapist in my pre-children, pre-library life and am a dog mom to two adopted dogs who were abused and neglected in the past).

Q: What is your favorite book?

A: "Oh the Places You'll Go", by Dr. Seuss. It sends such a positive message. We used it as the guest book at our wedding.

Q: What do you enjoy most about working at the library?

A: Interacting with and helping other adults, both patrons and co-workers.

Q: As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A: A firefighter. Some firemen came to visit my preschool and I was obsessed with becoming a firefighter for many years after.

Q: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

A: My babies <3

Q: What fictional character best represents you?

A: Monica from "Friends". She can be a bit neurotic and sometimes misunderstood but she is also very caring and loves her family.

Q: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?

A: Australia and/or New Zealand.

Q: Favorite song at the moment/favorite band?

A: My current favorite song is "River Lea" by Adele. I would say my favorite musician of all time is Garth Brooks. My husband and I saw him live two years ago and it was the best concert I have ever attended.


Q: Pet peeves?

A: Ungrateful people. There is a lot of suffering in the world and even if you don't have much, there is a good chance you have something that someone else would give anything for.

Q: One thing you couldn't live without?

A: Chocolate! My vice for sure.

Q: If you were a superhero, what would your power be?

A: Healing. Having the power to help people who suffer both physically and emotionally would be an amazing gift.

Q: Who would play you in a movie?

A: Jennifer Aniston. Simply because I think she is genuine and believable.

Q: What's on your bucket list?

A: Mostly travel. There is a big world out there and so many awesome sights left to see, there are very few places I wouldn't want to visit.

Q: What is an ability you wish you had?

A: I wish I had a baseline knowledge of life skills such as home repair, auto repair, finances, etc. If I had the time I would love to take 100-level courses in these areas so I would not always have to hire/pay someone else to do things like change my oil, fix my leaky sink, or do my taxes.

Q: Favorite quote?

A: "The most important things in life are not things." - author unknown.